Skip to main content

Victory, where art thou?

Way back in November 2006, I posted a blog entitled "Victory at Last",  rejoicing because the Anti-Billboard Bill had just been passed by the Senate voting 13-0.  Sigh.  It is now 2010 and the billboards have proliferated.

This is what I posted then:

Billboard felled by typhoon
"The damage wrought by falling giant billboards after that big typhoon Milenyo hit Manila finally awakened people on the mushrooming of billboards in the highways and bridges of Manila. And then there was a lot of noise from columnists, senators, other public figures --- some clamoring for the ban on billboards, others cautioning against it claiming (a) infringement into the right of freedom of speech and (2) the economic displacement and jobs lost from outdoor advertising industry.  

Two of the more interesting reads are:

Ceres Doyo: "Billboards from Hell"  
Neal Cruz: Ban the big bad Billboards! 


  
Of course, this proposed law addressed only the safety factor (which is not to be belittled), but my additional beef is that they are such an "eyesore"  obstructing the view of the sky and the trees and the landscape.  



Someone paraphrased Joyce Kilmer's poem:

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
Indeed unless the billboards fall,
I think I'll never see a tree at all.


I'm no longer going to belabor the subject --- I will just rejoice that the law has been passed.  That's what the papers said today:

Senate passes into law outright ban on billboards along highways "
---------------


Boy, was I wrong! Talk about celebrating too early!

Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, who had sponsored the bill, unanimously supported by the Senate says in her site:

     "Notable among her bills is the Anti-Billboard Bill passed by the Senate but ignored by the House of  Representatives in the last congress, reportedly because of the influence of a moneyed billboard lobby. "


WHAT THE BILL PROVIDES:
"The Santiago bill places a strict ban on the following billboards, which are prohibited:
    * Those that obstruct or obscure the view of vehicular or pedestrian traffic, in such a manner as to endanger their movement;
    * Those that impair any scenic vista from the highway;
    * Those located in residential zones;
    * Those placed on any public property, telephone or utility poles, or natural features such as trees and rocks;
    * Those erected above the roof of any buildings;
    * Those that obstruct the windows or doorways of adjacent buildings.

In addition to the ban on certain billboards, the Santiago bill requires 1,000 feet distance of any billboard from any interchange, right-of-way, street intersection, or any of the following: historical site, school, church, hospital, retirement or nursing home, cemetery, governmental building, public parks, playground, recreation areas, and convention centers.
 

The Santiago bill limits the size of any billboard to 300 sq. ft., and limits the height to 50 ft., measured from   ground level to the highest point of the billboard."
--------

Isn't that wonderful?  It is not a total ban -- it merely regulates.


BUT -- under the Rules, since the bill failed to pass the 13th Congress, it must be refiled and pass both chambers all over again in the next one: the 14th Congress.  NADA!  We are now in the 15th Congress.

Come on, my dear Congressmen and Senators of the 15th Congress!  Show us all that you will not be hindered by the billboard lobby!  Do us all a favor and pass the bill to regulate those blighted billboards.


Please, pretty please?

Comments

  1. Dear Peggy
    One of the major accomplishments attributed to Lady Bird Johnson, LBJ's late wife, was the removal of all billboards along US highways in an effort to beautify America. She got it done over the objections of the advertising industry and other groups like the tobacco lobby. Without her efforts we would not have any idea as to how America looks like. Landring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Landring, Good for her! Good for America! I will mention it so some Senators and Congressmen to whom I sent/will send a copy.

    When was the last time you were in Manila -- did you see the oversized billboards all over the place?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Again!

This is my third attempt at blogging.  Years back when Yahoo still had 360, I enthusiastically started a blog -- and thought about it enough to post several blogs, got reactions and was generally  satisfied with it. Then the Yahoo service was terminated.  I moved to Multiply and moved all my entries -- blogs as well as picture albums.  But I couldn't get myself to work it.  And now I've stumbled into Blogspot  --- well, I thought, why not? It asked for a name -- and I decided to use a favorite word: "tintinnabulation" -- which I learned many years ago and liked the sound of the word as well as the sounds it evoked in my thoughts... "the jingling and tinkling of bells."  I used to wear bracelets and necklaces with little bells -- and when I walked around, people would know I was coming when they heard me tintinnabulating. But Dictionary.com defines it as merely "the sound of bells" -- so they don't have to be little bells - the word would ap

The Silent Bells

My second post is a pictorial blog -- I've collected pictures of bell-shaped flowers (thanks to the anonymous photographers)... something about me and bells. I hope you hear the tintinnabulation.