Skip to main content

Again!

This is my third attempt at blogging.  Years back when Yahoo still had 360, I enthusiastically started a blog -- and thought about it enough to post several blogs, got reactions and was generally  satisfied with it. Then the Yahoo service was terminated.  I moved to Multiply and moved all my entries -- blogs as well as picture albums.  But I couldn't get myself to work it.  And now I've stumbled into Blogspot  --- well, I thought, why not?

It asked for a name -- and I decided to use a favorite word: "tintinnabulation" -- which I learned many years ago and liked the sound of the word as well as the sounds it evoked in my thoughts... "the jingling and tinkling of bells."  I used to wear bracelets and necklaces with little bells -- and when I walked around, people would know I was coming when they heard me tintinnabulating.

But Dictionary.com defines it as merely "the sound of bells" -- so they don't have to be little bells - the word would apply to bigger bells with bigger sounds as well.  And another reference mentioned "tintinnabulations of clapping cymbal rhythms" -- and those could be louder even.

The sound of a bell can express joy, sound a warning, be used in time of despair, in battle and in worship, stop the rain, keep evil spirits at bay, and lift spells. Bells have an honored place in religious ceremony, they are symbols of paradise and the voice of God. They are found equally among all cultures of the world.

And all these as well will be the themes of my blog -- and so one of my favorite words is now appropriately its name.  What I intend to post here will be on topics that  fall anywhere from the tinkling of little bells, to the ringing of bigger bells, to loud sounds of cymbals,  to the clanging of large bells.


Here I go again.

Comments

  1. Go, Auntie Peggy! I will eagerly await your posts each day (or, whenever you write them). Let the sounds of bells, whatever the size, begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jennifer -- should I also have a post-it note on my screen "have you written a blog today?" haha.

    No -- I will not pressure myself. I will write when there something in my heart wanting to be expressed -- and just for the sake of posting a blog. Only way to keep things authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops -- that was "NOT just for the sake of posting a blog."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to the various wavelengths that come undulating from your mind....tingle on my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Amor -- do we know each other? Care to share your blog? In any case, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tita Peggy!!!

    Congrats! Your blog looks fab! Love the name as well and I'm looking forward to reading more entries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on Mom!I better keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Peggy,
    You write flowingly (new adverb?). I will be a faithful and grateful follower. Landring

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Bells

My second post is a pictorial blog -- I've collected pictures of bell-shaped flowers (thanks to the anonymous photographers)... something about me and bells. I hope you hear the tintinnabulation.      

Victory, where art thou?

Way back in November 2006, I posted a blog entitled "Victory at Last",  rejoicing because the Anti-Billboard Bill had just been passed by the Senate voting 13-0.  Sigh.  It is now 2010 and the billboards have proliferated. This is what I posted then: Billboard felled by typhoon "The damage wrought by falling giant billboards after that big typhoon Milenyo hit Manila finally awakened people on the mushrooming of billboards in the highways and bridges of Manila. And then there was a lot of noise from columnists, senators, other public figures --- some clamoring for the ban on billboards, others cautioning against it claiming (a) infringement into the right of freedom of speech and (2) the economic displacement and jobs lost from outdoor advertising industry.   Two of the more interesting reads are: Ceres Doyo: "Billboards from Hell"   http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=24848 Neal Cruz: Ban the big bad Billboards!   http://opini